Geoclue provider requires root permissions

Leonid Yurchenko nocturne at qarea.com
Thu Mar 31 08:36:17 PDT 2011

On 03/31/2011 05:01 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-03-31 at 16:39 +0300, Leonid Yurchenko wrote:
>> Hi all.
>>
>> (is you saw this already - sorry for repeating mail, but previous seems
>> to be stuck somewhere)
>>
>> I'm writing a geoclue provider that requires root permissions. In
>> particular it requires access to wifi driver via wireless tools
>> (initiate a scan). All is working perfectly when I start client
>> application with sudo. But obviously I want a regular user to be able to
>> use this provider without sudoing. How can I achieve this?
> Why does it need that? I would expect connman, or NetworkManager to be
> able to provide you with the details of nearby APs. In fact, that's
> already how the skyhook provider works.

Hi, Bastien. Thanks for your answer.

As far as I know, both connman and NetworkManager are unable to initiate
a scan. They are passively collecting available access points. That
isn't enough for my case, I need to get freshest APs, and initiate a
wifi scan (that's easily done with wireless_tools, but requires superuser).

Isn't it possible to dbus service to be automatically launched by demand
with root privileges?