Some usage questions about the MasterClient interface

Stefan Schmidt s.schmidt at samsung.com
Tue Oct 16 07:56:37 PDT 2012

Hello.

I'm working with the Geoclue Dbus interface and recently switched my
code from using a hardcoded provider to the meta provider.

During this exercise several questions popped up and I wanted to see
what answers you folks have. :)

It took me some time to get geoclue actually make the meta provider
ready to use. Calling create on the master interface and then operating
on the MasterClient interface of the new object was obvious. Not so
obvious was to me that I really had to set the requirements and then
start address and position. I only figured this out while watching
dbus-monitor for the test application. :)

That brings two questions up. 1) Why do we have a explicit start but no
stop? One could argue that if we don't care about the stop we could also
start it directly when the client object gets created.

2) How am I supposed to destroy a client when shutting down my
application? I already handle the reference add and remove case for
providers (which disappear fine on shutdown) but that does not seem to
do the trick for the client object. For this problem I did not find a
clue in the testing program either as after I stopped it the created
client object also stay alive.

regards
Stefan Schmidt