DesktopID

John Frankish j-frankish at slb.com
Tue Jun 3 06:16:57 PDT 2014

> > On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 7:58 AM, John Frankish <j-frankish at slb.com> wrote:
> > Using gnome-maps-3.10.2 and geoclue-2.1.6
> >
> > When used without gnome(-session) there is a  dbus error message complaining that the DesktopID is not set and, although gnome-maps starts, it starts at the default location.
> >
> > Is there a way for geoclue to work without DesktopID being set?
>
> No, geoclue 2.1 mandates that (for being able to implement privacy in
> future). If you are using latest geoclue, you also want to use latest Maps I'm
> afraid.

I've now tried with gnome-session-3.10.1, gnome-maps-3.10.2 and geoclue-2.1.8 and still get the error:

Gjs-Message: JS LOG: Failed to connect to GeoClue2 service: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: 'DesktopId' property must be set

What sets  'DesktopId' - is it gnome-session or something else? Is it possible to manually set it? Is it set and this is a permissions error?

Cheers
John