Proposal: Location hackfest

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) zeeshanak at gnome.org
Tue Jun 3 16:00:19 PDT 2014

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 12:41 PM, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
<zeeshanak at gnome.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 3:06 AM, Aaron McCarthy
> <aaron.mccarthy at jolla.com> wrote:
>>> If you are OK with use of Mozilla location service for
>>> wifi-geolocation and geoip, there is only 1 hurdle in making geoclue2
>>> work on Jolla: Communication with Modem to get cell tower info and GPS
>>> info. For that my plan was that platforms either provide me with
>>> ModemManager or Ofono API. I was under the impression that Jolla, like
>>> Firefox OS has Ofono API implemented so you won't have to do anything
>>> in that regard but since I'm wrong,
>>
>> Sorry there must have been a misunderstanding there. When I mentioned Ofono it
>> was in regards to GPS. ModemManager apparently provides a GPS interface that
>> you currently use. I haven't seen a GPS interface in Ofono.
>
> Ah Ok. I did not know this. If ofono provided any docs or even
> introspection, I would know a bit more about ofono API.
>
>> We provide the Ofono API. What I do know is that the information provided by
>> the existing Ofono API was not sufficient for the HERE implementation.
>> Additional APIs were implemented to provide more cellular network
>> measurements. There should be sufficient APIs available to implement the
>> Mozilla location service.
>
> So if I'm understanding this correctly, ofono is providing me info
> about cell towers but not GPS? The additional API you talk of above
> are added to ofono's dbus service? If so, the addition of support for
> ofono + custom GPS API (both could be enabled though configure flag)
> in geoclue2 would be the major step then to make geoclue2 working for
> you? If you got any docs or introspection XML on the API, that would
> be very useful for me.

I had a bit of chat with ofono guys. They told me that ofono does
indeed have GPS "API" but its raw NMEA sentences fed through some fds
rather than directly on the D-Bus interface.

I think I'll add an ofono backend soon and would hope that that is all
I need (apart from missing API you mentioned) to do to make geoclue2
work for your platform. :)

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)