Proposal: Location hackfest

Hanno Schlichting hschlichting at mozilla.com
Tue May 27 10:00:22 PDT 2014

On 27.05.2014, at 18:25 , Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) <zeeshanak at gnome.org> wrote:
> Right. One of the reasons I was looking forward to meeting you at
> hackfest was that I was hoping to convince you/Jolla to rely on
> Mozilla Location Service instead. Having used location-based apps on
> Jolla for many months now, I see that geolocation hardly ever gets a
> good fix on me unless I'm outside and GPS comes into play. I'm not
> even in some remote area of the world but rather London (not the one
> in Kentucky :)).
>
> Mozilla location service OTOH seems to be doing a much better job.
> Keeping in mind that Mozilla provides an easy way to submit wifi and
> cell data (and geoclue has an option to enable that in the config), I
> think its a much promising service than Nokia's.

Hanno from Mozilla here.

Just keep in mind that the current Mozilla Location Service is run as an experiment with no SLA’s and provided under a no-guarantees / best-effort clause.

We’ll want to change that and we are committed to continue running this, especially since we have a very real business need for our own Firefox OS devices.

But if you want to send a significant number of users our way or need SLA's, we should talk first. And in general we are open to discussing lots of things around the service.

If you have any questions, please ask :)
Hanno