demo/agent not following geoclue bus re-connects

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Thu Nov 20 03:26:53 PST 2014

On Thu, 2014-11-20 at 12:11 +0100, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On 20/11/14 11:36, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > On Thu, 2014-11-20 at 10:22 +0000, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> >> Hello.
> >>
> >> I'm writing some GeoClue2 agent code for Enlightenment and for this
> >> purpose I play around with available demo/agent and demo/where-am-i code
> >> to see how things are working together.
> >>
> >> I changed the desktop_id setting for where-am-i to something invalid (no
> >> desktop file) to check how the error case is handled. After starting the
> >> agent I did run where-am-i and is was rejected (as it should) but
> >> running it again right afterwards it went through just fine. This
> >> confused me for a while until I was running geoclue manually from a
> >> shell with debug enabled.
> >>
> >> In the case described above geoclue would simply leave the bus after
> >> where-am-i got rejected but the agent kept running. A new start of
> >> where-am-i would trigger a on demand start of geoclue but the running
> >> agent would not register again so the app request would go through
> >> without any agent interaction.
> >>
> >> I guess this is just a limitation of the demo code of the agent? Does
> >> gnome-shell handle this correctly?
> > That's a bug in the agent.
> Thanks for confirming this.
>
> > gnome-shell would handle this properly, but
> > the agent code isn't merged into gnome-shell, as the per-application
> > settings don't really work with our current security framework(s) on
> > "desktop" Linux.
>
> Oh, interesting. I thought this was enabled in gnome-shell already.
> Is there a plan forward or is it in wait and see mode? :)
>
> Makes me wonder if I should keep working on the agent code for
> Enlightenment.

We'll enable it as soon as the security it's supposed to provide is
actually provided. That probably means kdbus and application containers
at the very least. I would probably have merged the gnome-shell agent
code myself, but it's true that it might give a sense of security that
doesn't exist (it's too easy to fake being another app).