[ghns] GHNS Rant

Luke Alan Sandell ls65594 at appstate.edu
Thu Nov 10 09:10:12 PST 2005

Here are some criticisms I have against GHNS. I was going to post it on
Bugzilla, but it was too general. Please take with a grain of salt (or
alternatively, several glasses of wine). I am also not subscribed to the
list, so if you could kindly CC any replies.

The GHNS dialog is a usability nightmare, and should probably be altogether
eliminated in favor of a web-based interface. The only feedback the user
receives while everything is loading is the message "Empty Page" and
multiple, ugly, KIO progress dialogs. Then there is the HUGE kcmshell-like
list box on the far left that normally only contains a single item. The
various tabs for "Highest Rated", "Latest", and "Most Downloaded" contain the
same exact content 99% of the time (forgive me for never having taken a class
in HCI, but at least in my book using "tabs" to switch between identical
pages having different content is a big "no-no" and a pet peeve of mine. The
whole idea behind tabs is you are switching between _different_ pages; simply
changing the content of the page destroys the whole tab metaphor. Radio
buttons would probably be better in this case). Then there is the tiny
preview window at right. You can't click on the preview of wallpaper, for
example, to view it at full size in a separate window before you decide to
install it. And then Details button pops up this HUGE plain-text dialog box,
instead of a nice scrollable rich-text view as it should.

Why reinvent the wheel or confine yourself to clunky static interfaces like
this when all this dynamic, web-based technology is at your fingertips? If
the user clicks on "Get Hot New Stuff" in an application, they should simply
be taken to a site such as kde-look.org where they can browse content in a
manner they see fit. Then (and here is the hook), they should be able to
click on a universal "Install" button on the page that will automatically
install the content for them and notify interested applications. This would
be done using a special XML mimetype that will be recognized by Konqueror and
will cause a GHNS helper program to be launced, which will of course check a
configurable list to make sure the resource comes a trusted site. Users
shouldn't need to manually download things into to their hidden KDE home -
even as a power user I find this to be a tedious and braindead proceedure.
And of course they shouldn't have to choose between different sizes of
wallpapers, as ordinary users have no reason to know their display resolution
anyway. The different files available for different resolutions should be
listed in the XML file, and GHNS should simply pick the right one for the
user's display. Also, the user should be able to choose between using the
resource immediately (as in setting it as the active wallpaper), or
downloading it for later use.

Now, why would I want an application that could download only content that is
"hot" or "new?" Why not allow me to browse all the content arranged in any
way I choose? The other day I trying to retrieve the Liquid Weather theme for
SuperKaramba, but I was not allowed to because it is apparently not "hot" or
"new" enough to appear in the GHNS dialog (I was under the mistaken
impression that Liquid Weather was among the most popular, eg. "hot", themes.
Apparently its position is rivaled by such world-changers as the About.com
Search).

Community-based content distribution is one way in which free desktops can
always excel in comparison to their commercial counterparts, for reasons that
are so obvious that I need not mention here. It is one of those tantalizing
technologies that would be so nice if it actually worked.

Sincerely,
Luke Sandell