[ghns] Not dead yet

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Thu Apr 6 09:53:43 PDT 2006

Yo,

some status update is due again.
This is what has been done recently:

* SDLNewStuff has been ported to support the new GHNS format. It is now
already in productive use, so I guess some docs should be written for it to
help its adoption by other projects.

* 2 repositories are online at the new server, though not really used yet
(lack of time to put in there all the available entries.)

-> http://new.kstuff.org/
-> http://pyntor.coolprojects.org/repository/
-> http://www.ggzcommunity.org/hotstuff/

Those web views are actually based on using remote feeds from the repository
server via HTTP.

* DXS-perl was upped to version 0.5. This is the last standalone release,
future versions will be integrated into Hotstuff so that a single
installation gives all the features one needs.

-> http://ghns.berlios.de/dxs-perl/

Furthermore, in 2 hours time, I'm going to give a talk at the local Perl
Mongers group about it, secretly hoping to find new hackers there. Wheeee!

* KDE client library (KNewStuff2) is now the #1 priority. The problem is that
development based on kdelibs-4 is rather tricky at the moment.
The existing KDXS stuff in branches/work/knewstuff2 will be converted to KDE 4
soon.

* Some more issues to discuss: For example, as in the case with the Arimaa
entries, those have been uploaded by me but were only partially created by
me. Some public domain images and sound files, for example, are someone
else's creation. This can be solved technically by reading both the "author"
tag and the information about who's logged in at the same time, but the
database and the download format would need to be extended, should this be
present there.

Josef