[ghns] Back from Spain

Thomas Wood thos at gnome.org
Sun Mar 5 14:39:43 PST 2006

Josef Spillner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been at the IICISL conference (OSWC) in Málaga, Spain. We also had a
> quick unplanned GHNS meeting there.
>
> Someone, who is now also subscribed to this list (sorry, I forgot your name!)
> showed me the wallpaper subscription software which uses RSS feeds. We should
> see if this can be made compatible with GHNS feeds. Alternatively, the
> Hotstuff backend could export RSS feeds for this application. But then RSS
> feed support would have to be added to KNewStuff as well.
>
> Is this applet already part of GNOME or is it planned to become so?

I'm not sure anything that supports wallpapers via RSS is available as
part of GNOME, but the background capplet does have it's own format for
storing wallpaper information.

I think RSS is a little limited for sharing wallpapers anyway, and I am
going to start looking at Atom for use on art.gnome.org. It would be
interesting to see if it would be possible for the GHNS spec to be
compatible with Atom. (Adding GHNS namespace to Atom to add extended
information for example...)

Do any of the GHNS developers have any opinions about this? It seems to
be Atom is a very flexible framework, and it would be nice to be able to
use an already widely adopted standard.

-Thomas