[ghns] about SoC proposal at Blender Foundation on GHNS + questions

Jonathan-David SCHRODER myselfhimself at free.fr
Sun Apr 6 10:13:19 PDT 2008

Hi,
I made a SoC 2008 proposal at the Blender Foundation to be able to fetch
about anything from withing a running Blender app.
About anything meaning : models, materials, new blender binary updates,
scripts, nodes...
The proposal in its current state is here (a publish google docs with which
I will update my google SoC some time before the deadline) :
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcsrtj3t_92g33hrcgx<http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=dcsrtj3t_92g33hrcgx&hl=en>

The proposal will see changes today or tomorrow as far as phrasing is
concerned (someone looked it over and told me what did not sound
very english or was difficult to understand).

In that application, I propose amongst other things, to integrate a GHNS
client into Blender, and to develop a template PHP code Blender content
repositories implementing the GHS server call API (a data.kstuff.org-adapted
back-end+front-end version for Blender data, whose frontend people could
customize).
A part of the GHNS client would have to be coded in Python (although all the
GHNS scripts are in Perl), because Python is simply what Blender is extended
with.

Could you let me know your thoughts of my proposal ?
What I propose for Blender, could actually be generalized for Inkscape...
Does the GHNS project mentor anything for the 2008 SoC ?
Apparently, there are more than 20 proposals at the Blender foundation and I
am not sure if mine would be retained....
I'd be OK to work on a SoC for the KDE group or other organisation, and work
to integrate GHNS into more pieces of software such as Inkscape, Gimp,
Scribus... so I would be so grateful if you knew where I could apply as well
elsewhere than for the Blender Foundation to have more chances to work a
Summer of Code this year... .

I think that I should complement my proposal with links to graphics. Would
you have any diagrams describing the way GHNS works that I could use and
adapt for my Blender proposal ?

I know that I'm posting this lately.

Sincerely,
Jonathan-david Schröder