[ghns] Re : about SoC proposal at Blender Foundation on GHNS + questions

Jonathan-David SCHRODER myselfhimself at free.fr
Wed Apr 9 06:35:19 PDT 2008

Hi again,
please forgive me for my last message that was missing words here and there.
Thank you for you answer Josef.
Ok I'll try to show the Bf (blender foundation) that I'm already tinkering
with the scripts (this is what I've started doing, for real )and that I'm
getting advice on this list.

I have studied some xml pages fetched thanks to the api.
Things look good. On this I have question, how is that possible to submit
new files to the server through the api ? Submit doesn't belong the 3
functions list from api.kde-look.org .
Also, what's the difference between the data fetched thanks to the api from
: api.kde-look.org , and the data fetchable by browsing through xml pages,
starting from the ones mentionned here :
http://www.kde-look.org/help/ghns.php ?
I don't understand much how to find again the same categories listed on
http://api.opendesktop.org/V1/CATEGORIES, and on
http://www.kde-look.org/help/ghns.php .

I've had a look at :
http://svn.ggzgamingzone.org/trac.cgi/browser/trunk/python/lib/sdlnewstuff.py?rev=head.
It uses the
http://www.kde-look.org/help/ghns.php interface with the providers.xml
files. To me, this interface could also be called a REST interface somehow,
because there's no SOAP, and it uses the download xml -then- go to one of
the hyperlinks steps which resemble what I've read about REST.
I haven't been able to run the python script because my pygame install on
linux is weird (doing apt-get install pygame does install pygame but does
not setup the pythonpath to add pygame's folfers... looking on the web, this
seems to be an old deb. package bug while I'm using a much newer ubuntu
distribution...). Changing my pyhonpath the way I could guess does make
importing pygame work partly, but I still have problems finding some parts
of the pygame library... Maybe I'll purge the sdlnewstuff script from any
pygame related code and try to run it, though reading the code is enough to
understand what this script does with the ghns interface.

I'd be ready to rewrite some python script using the REST interface, maybe
complementing what I could see with sdlnewstuff and making a python only
library to be used by any kind of software.

Sincerely,
Jonathan-david Schröder

--
http://www.jaxtr.com/myselfhimself