[ghns] khotnewstuff for 4.1

Jeremy jeremy at scitools.com
Thu Jan 24 16:58:49 PST 2008

Hi list,

I've got a couple ideas I'd like to start some discussion about regarding
KHotNewStuff.  A couple come from Inge Wallin and some use cases he thought
of.

1. Users need a way to add additional providers for a given type of data.  For
example, if someone wanted to they could add gnome-look.org or something as a
provider of wallpapers.  Or a school could set up a ghns server or a website
that provides xml and vocabulary files for parley each week for it's
students.  Currently all providers are loaded from a central place (or
places) which have lists of providers.  Users could concievably add more
providers from a dialog that comes up from a button in the download dialog,
or from a kcm, or something.  The simpler the better probably.

2. Users need a way to provide username and password for a given domain.  That
way schools server could be set up to only allow download from registered
students, upload from registered teachers, etc..  Also will be needed for
kde-look.org and the other sites to do upload with authentication.

3. We need to have an install to system folder ability, so IT departments, or
teachers could download data for marble, or kgeography have it install to the
system folder, and then be accessible to any student that logs into the
machine.

That's probably plenty for one e-mail :)

thanks,

Jeremy