[ghns] ghns status, api, etc.

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Wed Jul 1 17:26:54 PDT 2009

On Thursday 02 July 2009 01:08:41 Jeremy Whiting wrote:
> I'll check to see if I'm
> getting what I need from the ODS and DXS providers (a unique id for each
> entry)

I've added support for that in Hotstuff a few seconds ago which must manually
be enabled because it's experimental. Which leads to a whole bunch of other
questions we should get a consenting opinion on:

- Now that quite a few applications and libraries rely on the format(s) and
protocol(s), how do we handle extensions and changes? There are several
options. One could assume that things are only added and never removed. In
this case, having version numbers and performing an equal-or-greater
comparison would determine the compatibility. This sort of negotiation works
great for connection-oriented protocols, but not so much for our rather ad-hoc
request nature.
We could also determine stability cycles and have coarse-grained protocol
switchovers.
In this particular case, the addition of an identifier might break strict
schema-driven feed validators. We could always ignore unknown elements as a
default policy as long as ignoring them doesn't introduce unwanted side
effects.

- Similarly, we need to have an evolving specification text online along with a
stable, widely accepted and implemented version, highlighting the changes
which are about to be introduced.

- The semantic of what is a provider might not be clear. In my case, the
identifier is taken from the database, which by convention always represents
one provider. But it might contain entries of several categories. The
identifier is unique for both, but not for categories across providers.
Therefore, the namespacing mechanism would need to account for both hostname
and internal provider identification to make an identifier globally unique.

- The design of Hotstuff is non-destructive, meaning that if entries are
updated, the old information is still available. This means that the identifier
would always change for each update. Is this the desired semantics?

Josef