[ghns] 9/26 Meeting summary

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Fri Oct 2 04:04:07 PDT 2009

Hello,

Am Donnerstag, 1. Oktober 2009 05:19:34 schrieb Jeremy Whiting:
> We talked about download, upload, and integrating knewstuff with open
> desktop services by wrapping it around libattica.  We also discussed the
> plan I put together here: http://techbase.kde.org/KNewStuff2Plan

I suggest moving this page into the existing KNewStuff2 namespace so that we
have less top-level pages on techbase.

> In
> discussing download we decided the user doesn't care about where the data
> is coming from, but just that it's coming =)  So we'll remove the Provider
> combobox from the download dialog and merge all the available provider's
> data into one view for each feed.  We also talked about how the search is
> not very useful as it is just a filter of the local view now.  It
> would/will be much better as a server-side search feature.

IIRC the search was intended to work on a potentially complete cache of all
metadata. Of course in hindsight this was a very na¨ıve strategy given that
with large providers it is neither feasible nor desirable to assume a complete
cache. A hybrid local/remote search may be much better. Even kmail's search is
still very bad from a (personal) usability point of view, and I think there
are several similarities on how one would expect a KNS search to work.

> Long story short I agreed to work on knewstuff to get it into shape and
> ready for the upcoming functionality.

Great!

> Anyway, I'd really like to have another meeting this coming saturday
> morning if those that were there last time can make it.  I'd especially
> like to hear Josef's input if you can make it Josef.  Plan on the same time
> as last week? Anyone/everyone else is of course more than welcome to come
> share ideas, comments, suggestions, review what we are discussing, whatever
> =)

Does this mean tomorrow at 14:00 CET? I'll try to be on IRC all day long if
that helps.

It might also be a good idea to involve some application people who use the
library to see if they have additional requests.

Josef