[ghns] GHNS packages

Stephen scgmk5 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 17:40:59 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-05 at 02:05 +0200, Josef Spillner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Monday 05 October 2009 01:48:05 Stephen wrote:
> > Has anyone created a system for creating GHNS packages, that could be
> > downloaded as a tar.gz or the like, if so what advice can you provide on
> > implementing GHNS packages?
>
> Packages which are unpacked at installation time and expand to several folders
> at once are easily possible and are already in use. However, dependencies
> between GHNS entries are not supported, each entry needs to be usable on its
> own or describe dependencies in its documentation.
>
> It would be nice to know some details about the Gimp use case to see whether
> something can be done about it and how representative it is of general
> potential GHNS usage in Gimp. I would like to see GHNS support in there, even
> if it won't cover all use cases at the beginning.
>
> Josef

Hi,
We have just started looking at this (12ish hours ago), but the way I
thought about it, GHNS wouldn't have to support packages directly.

GIMP just needs to understand what <stuff type="gimp/package">, where it
points to another ghnsdowload containing n instances of stuff (and have
gimp sew a package together).  But now that you mention it,  using a
common package system would be better.

I will chat with guiguru (Peter Sikking) our UI guy, he is a wiz at
identify use cases, I will get back with solid use cases as soon as
possible :)

Regards,
Stephen.