Is possible to compile and use gst-omx for Android devices ?

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Sat Dec 28 04:05:41 PST 2013

On Sa, 2013-12-28 at 12:40 +0100, stic at free.fr wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
> About mediacodec patch, yes I already answered to the thread and tried
> it but I had really too much issues with it, it absolutely does not
> work for me and has many many problems ... I will try to go on with it
> again ... but :/
> I think it would deserve a lot more stability.

Yes, that's why it wasn't merged yet :) It needs someone to spend some
more time on it, make it more stable and work with more devices.

> About gst-omx config file, what should it contain ? How to build such
> file or you have any documentation about it ?

Check the configuration file for the Raspberry Pi that is included:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-omx/tree/config/rpi/gstomx.conf

It lists every encoder/decoder element exposed by gst-omx and defines
the OpenMAX IL core library that is to be used, which gst-omx type name
should be used, which component name, etc.
The values of all these variables depend on your specific hardware.

Expertise, Straight from the Source