v4l2src and mpeg4 plugins on Android

Francesco Argese kekko84 at gmail.com
Mon May 13 00:54:22 PDT 2013

Hello,

I'm using GStreamer SDK for Android to port one of my GStreamer-based
software to Android.

The provided tutorials works well for me but I have found that v4l2src
and ffenc_mpeg4 are missing among plugins available for Android.

I have tried to compile gstreamer for Android with cerbero using the
documentation "Building from source using cerbero" [1] to resolve
these problems but I'm not yet able to resolve them. In particular:

- for v4l2src in configure phase of gst-plugins-good I obtain the
following warnings:

      configure: WARNING video4linux2 headers were found, but they're old
      configure: WARNING Please update v4l2 to compile the v4l2src.

 - for ffenc_mpeg4 I have read on GStreamer website that it is
possible to use Android Media codecs but it seems that there is no
documentation on how to use them. Does anyone know the names of these
plugins and how can they be used?

Thanks in advance,
Francesco Argese