Android: Video scaling using device hardware

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Mon Jun 16 23:02:51 PDT 2014

On Di, 2014-05-27 at 05:51 -0700, Umashankar Chikkamath wrote:
> Hello,
> I needs to do video scaling for transcoding purpose, cerbero  android SDK provides videoscale plugin/element for the same. But my attempt is to access hardware available on device(GPU/DSP) and do scaling operation. Is any plugin are available for video scaling using hardware of device.
> Device I'm using for video scaling operation is Samsung S4 (qualcomm Snapdragon 600)
> Android version 4:3

Currently no, and there also is no public API on Android to do this
easily. It could however be implemented, but it's going to be some
amount of work Basically you would need to add support for rendering
from a GL surface to the androidmedia video encoders, and then use the
scaling support from libgstgl.

Expertise, Straight from the Source