Android mediacodec / H265 Support

Kammacher Tobias (kamm) kamm at zhaw.ch
Wed Jul 8 00:58:46 PDT 2015

Hi there

I am trying to use a H264 and H265 hardware codec of a Android 5.1 device with the gstreamer-android-sdk.
In order to use the codec I am interested in the capabilities of the gst-plugins-bad-1.5.1/androidmedia plugin. (I had to revert from SDK 1.5.2 to 1.5.1 because of problems with the setup of the codec.)

The integration of the H264 codec into a pipeline was successful but as far as I understand, the androidmedia plugin does not yet support H265/HEVC. Could someone confirm this assumption and possibly tell me if there are plans for future integration of H265 into the androidmedia plugin?

Thanks for any information in advance
Tobias

--
Kammacher Tobias, BSc ZFH in Electrical Engineering
Wissenschaftlicher Assistent

ZHAW, Zurich University of Applied Sciences
InES, Institute of Embedded Systems
Postfach
Technikumstr. 22
CH-8401 Winterthur