Zero-copy to Application's Surface Texture?

Joel Fuster j at fuster.org
Tue Nov 3 06:54:38 PST 2015

Hello,

I have a mostly-Java Android application which uses OpenGL to draw a scene
and I am trying to figure out how to use Gstreamer to decode live video
into a texture so that I can place it into the scene as well.

Here is what I have working so far:

1) My existing OpenGL application

2) I am able to use Grafika's MoviePlayer to decode a video file into a
SurfaceTexture provided by my application and play it inside my OpenGL
scene...exactly what I would like to do with Gstreamer.

3) Using Cerbero I was able to compile a version of Gstreamer from a few
days ago which included the zero-copy changes

4) I was able to build and run the "tutorial-5" app with this version of
the gstreamer library and use it to stream my video.

I tried re-using much of the tutorial-5 code and doing
SurfaceTexture->Surface->NativeWindow then setting that on glimagesink, but
it only results in black video, although the debug messages suggest that
decoding is happening.

I suspect I am missing something fundamental, but could use some help with
figuring out what.  Should I be using glimagesink or something else?  It
seems like it is doing its own draw calls and such?  How do I convince it
to let my application handle that?

Thanks in advance,

Joel