androidmedia plugin doesn't register with gstreamer 1.8.3

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Wed Sep 21 18:34:07 UTC 2016

On Mi, 2016-09-21 at 17:00 +0000, Martin Vachovski wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I managed to register the androidmedia plugin.
> Seems that there are some ingredients which are missing in the pre built binaries...
> I managed to collect and put them together from different sources on the net (people
> have been working on it)

Well, if you would've looked at the example applications I linked to...
they're doing exactly that in an automated way :)

> I am going to explain how I managed to start it, so somebody else can use it or
> even patch up the prebuilt library...
>
> 1) Add the the necessary compiler and linker flags to the ndk section of build.gradle of your app.
> Mine currently looks something like this:
>
> [...]
>
> 2) GST_PLUGIN_STATIC_DECLARE / GST_PLUGIN_STATIC_REGISTER
>
> [...]
> 3) JNI callback class
> [...]
> 4) After redirecting the gstreamer log system via logcat, I saw that there is a runtime error
> at file gstjniutils.c line 577:
> [...]

All these parts are already done by the build system integration
shipped with the GStreamer binaries. But it's currently based on ndk-
build, which however can be integrated into gradle like in the gst-
player example app I linked in the previous mail.

It also puts the JNI callback Java classes into your project into the
right place, and it automatically generates the initialization
boilerplate for all the plugins you want to use.

At some point we should port this to Gradle directly, but as said, even
with the ndk-build parts it can be used from Gradle like in the
example.

> So after that I saw for the first time the androidmedia plugin being registered.
> Tomorrow I will even try to use the elements! :)
>
> On a side comment, if I have enough time, I might provide a clean skeleton app
> which contains everything. The only problem seems to be that
> if I try to attach it as an archive, it gets stopped/delayed by the moderator.

You could just put it on GitHub :)