cerbero and gst-omx

Christian Werner cwerner at ibr.cs.tu-bs.de
Sun Jan 15 15:23:40 UTC 2017

>> I am Christian and my project goal is to get hardware accelerated
>> H.264 playback with gstreamer on my android tablet.
> You can also use the androidmedia plugin for this, which only uses
> public Android APIs (android.media.MediaCodec).
>
> gst-omx will usually not work on an unmodified Android system as you
> don't have (exclusive) access to the hardware and probably not the
> permissions either.

Dear Sebastian,

you are right, I don't have exclusive access to the resources required
by the gst-omx plugin on my tablet.

However, the androidmedia plugin did its job really well! The H.264
stream is playing smoothly without glitches and also energy consumption
is acceptable.

Thank you very much for your advise!

Christian