[gst-announce] Release notes for GStreamer gst-plugins-ugly 0.10.2 "Season to Taste"
thaytan at noraisin.net
Mon Feb 20 12:49:00 PST 2006
GStreamer: Release notes for GStreamer Ugly Plug-ins 0.10.2 "Season to
The GStreamer team is proud to announce a new release
in the 0.10.x stable series of the
GStreamer Ugly Plug-ins.
The 0.10.x series is a stable series targeted at end users.
It is not API or ABI compatible with the stable 0.8.x series.
It is, however, parallel installable with the 0.8.x series.
"When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk."
There are times when the world needs a color between black and white.
Quality code to match the good's, but two-timing, backstabbing and ready
sell your freedom down the river. These plug-ins might have a patent
around their neck, or a lock-up license, or any other problem that makes
think twice about shipping them.
We don't call them ugly because we like them less. Does a mother love
son less because he's not as pretty as the other ones ? No - she
him on his great personality. These plug-ins are the life of the party.
And we'll still step in and set them straight if you report any
behaviour - because there are two kinds of people in the world, my
those with a rope around their neck and the people who do the cutting.
This module contains a set of plug-ins that have good quality and
functionality, but distributing them might pose problems. The license
on either the plug-ins or the supporting libraries might not be how we'd
like. The code might be widely known to present patent problems.
Distributors should check if they want/can ship these plug-ins.
Other modules containing plug-ins are:
gst-plugins-base contains a basic set of well-supported plug-ins
gst-plugins-good contains a set of well-supported plug-ins under our
gst-plugins-bad contains a set of less supported plug-ins that haven't
passed the rigorous quality testing we expect
Features of this release
* Parallel installability with 0.8.x series
* Threadsafe design and API
* DVD Title source (dvdreadsrc) ported (DVD Menus in a future
* ASF demuxer ported
* Fixes for MPEG demuxing
* Fixes for the MAD MP3 decoder
* Fixes for the LAME MP3 encoder
* ID3 tag reading has moved to id3demux in gst-plugins-good
* Fixes for the Real Media demuxer
* Various other fixes
Bugs fixed in this release
* 311679 : [lame] doesn't write GST_TAG_DATE correctly
* 326734 : [mad] Add 24-bit output support
* 171528 : SIGFPE in gstasf with
* 313838 : totem hangs after playing an amazon sample
* 317872 : Cannot demux ASF/WMV files with auxillary
* 319782 : Lame encoding is broken with vbr=vbr-new and
* 326711 : [mpegdemux] does not negotiate source pads
* 329575 : misc bugfixes for mad from 0.8
* 331035 : [asfdemux] port to 0.10
* 331301 : [mpeg2dec] strides issues when cropping
* 331579 : Set asfdemux rank to secondary
* 330844 : mpeg2dec crashes with " cropped " MPEG videos
You can find source releases of gst-plugins-ugly in the download
More details can be found on the project's website:
Support and Bugs
We use GNOME's bugzilla for bug reports and feature requests:
CVS is hosted on cvs.freedesktop.org.
All code is in CVS and can be checked out from there.
Interested developers of the core library, plug-ins, and applications
subscribe to the gstreamer-devel list. If there is sufficient interest
will create more lists as necessary.
Contributors to this release
* Christian Schaller
* Edgard Lima
* Edward Hervey
* Jan Schmidt
* Martin Soto
* Stefan Kost
* Thomas Vander Stichele
* Tim-Philipp Müller
* Wim Taymans
Jan Schmidt thaytan at noraisin.net
"Karaoke bars combine two of the nation's greatest evils:
people who shouldn't drink with people who shouldn't sing."
More information about the Gstreamer-announce