[gst-devel] Re: GStreamer for Media Library

Nicholas Francis nicholasFrancis at iname.com
Fri Mar 24 03:58:14 CET 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Erik Walthinsen <omega at cse.ogi.edu>
To: Nicholas Francis <nicholasFrancis at iname.com>
Cc: gnome-devel <gnome-devel-list at gnome.org>;
<gstreamer-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2000 3:32 AM
Subject: Re: GStreamer for Media Library

> On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Nicholas Francis wrote:
>
> > I very much like GStreamer. My only concern is that it appears to have
been
> > designed to be a system that is cool, which is not neccessarily the same
as
> > that it is cool to use it...
> No, it was designed to solve the problems I saw with an existing project,
> the OGI pipeline.  It happens to be a cool design (IMO), and from the
> application-writer's perspective I believe it's quite a sane API.

I'm currently getting saving and loading into Trinity, then I will try to
move to a GStreamer architecture to check it out. So expect lots of dumb
questions :-)

> Also
> consider that it's a low-level API, having to do with the filter graphs
> themselves, not the higher-level concepts I would expect GML to have.

Actually, I would like GML to have both.

> > I've read through the docs I could find in the CVS, but don't have time
> > work the sources. Better documentation would be a Good Thing...

> Yup.  I'm going to put some time into that soon so it makes more sense.
> The website isn't all that informative yet...

Mind you, you've done a great job with those reeealy long mails :)

How would you like to join the GML (Or whatever) list, as you have a lot of
experience in the technical side of things ?