[gst-devel] Anybody here?

Wim Taymans wim.taymans at tvd.be
Wed May 10 18:52:04 CEST 2000

"Myers W. Carpenter" wrote:

>         Looking through the archives all traffic on this list seems to have
> stopped last month.  Did you all get abducted by aliens?

NO! most of the messages are CVS commits, so there definatly is something going
on.

>         I've been working on a similar project to gstreamer called libAV.  It
> was started by diffrent authors of movie frontend players (frontends to
> smpeg and xanim) who wanted to branch out and be able to have a
> universal movie player.  After looking at what needed to be done it
> seemed like we needed a plugin  archutechure with each plugin
> representing a filetype.

OK. This is what gstreamer is supposed to do.

>         Idealy libAV would have done decoding and encoding, and been desktop
> indepentant (ie. no reason for a duplication of effort for the gnome and
> kde projects and I wanted to write command line converters between
> formats)
>
>         gstreamer seems to have the same goals as what I saw libAV doing.
Yes
> Rather than have two diffrent project doing the exact same thing, I'd
> rather move over here, but I have a few questions:
>                 - are you just targeting gnome/gtk? Or could I write a command line
> util or a KDE app using gstreamer?

We are not targetting anything at all I suppose since the infrastructure is
quite
GUI independent. We are using plain old C and the Gtk object model. We are more
or
less based on glib and hopefully soon on the glib object model.

>                 - what are you dependant on?

The videosink (the only component doing some video output) is based on Gtk but
you
could also implement an SDL or GL or Qt gui.

>                 - why the emphisis on streaming media in your name?  When I was doing
> a sweep through freshmeat looking for other projects like this I don't
> think I gave enought attention to gstreamer because it seemed to be all
> about streaming and not about playing the files I already had.

Gstreamer currently plays MPEG1 and MPEG2 with ac3 and mpeg audio. It can also
encode MPEG1&2 and avi. It can capture from a v4l device. Not too many real apps
are built with it, most of them are examples for using the infrastructure.

>         I look forward to hearing back from you.  If the aliens only let you
> read email, but not respond, try and harness your telepathic abilities
> and get in touch and I'll send some Space Marines.
:-)

>         BTW: I couldn't get a copy of the CVS or 0.0.9 to build for me.  I get
> the same error for both. Here are the errors:
>
> /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..
> -I/usr/lib/glib/include -D_REENTRANT -O2 -Wall -c gsttrace.c
> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/lib/glib/include -D_REENTRANT
> -O2 -Wall -Wp,-MD,.deps/gsttrace.pp -c gsttrace.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o
> gsttrace.lo
> gsttrace.c: In function `gst_trace_read_tsc':
> gsttrace.c:35: Invalid `asm' statement:
> gsttrace.c:35: fixed or forbidden register 0 (ax) was spilled for class
> AREG.
> gsttrace.c: In function `_gst_trace_add_entry':
> gsttrace.c:35: Invalid `asm' statement:
> gsttrace.c:35: fixed or forbidden register 0 (ax) was spilled for class
> AREG.
> gsttrace.c: In function `read_tsc':
> gsttrace.c:35: Invalid `asm' statement:
> gsttrace.c:35: fixed or forbidden register 0 (ax) was spilled for class
> AREG.
> make[3]: *** [gsttrace.lo] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/myers/gstreamer/gst'
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/myers/gstreamer/gst'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/myers/gstreamer'
> make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
>
> numbers:~/gstreamer$ gcc --version
> 2.95.2

hmm... I'm using egcs-2.91.66. I'll look into it.

GG,
Wim

--
Space: the final frontier.  These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise.
Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds; to seek out new life