[gst-devel] Wow! (more questions, sorry :)

Wim Taymans wim.taymans at tvd.be
Fri May 12 08:40:04 CEST 2000

"Myers W. Carpenter" wrote:

>         I stayed up late last night reading through the entire mailing list
> archive and all I can say now is WOW.   This is cool.  I'm really
> impresed as to what this framework can do.
>         Right now I have a lot of ideas and questions, and I'll try and save
> them until I'm sure I know what I'm talking about.
>
>         I would like to add what I can to the project.  Where can I start?  My
> personal inclination is to write end user apps, and my main itch is a
> good video player with seek support.  I was encouraged by this comment

Nice! we do not have good seek support or frame skipping yet. We do not have
a well tested type detection mechanism too.
A real end user app would be the best thing to start working on. We need some
real feedback about how this framework is working in real life.

> (I think it was a cvs commit or something)
>
> ---
> Almost as fast as the commercial mpeg player mtv, but with a much
> better video quality :-)
> ---
>         So let's not sit on it. :)
>
>         Is gstreamer ready for a end user app?  I realize gstreamer is "a
> moving target" but I'm willing keep aiming.  If this really isn't a good
> idea point to where I should go.

Some things are missing but could be build along with the application. You
could end up with a quite nice player with whatever there is now.

>         Some one asked what kind of documentation would be good, I think top
> down api documentation (gstreamer from an application writer point of
> view.  Check out the docs for libmpeg2 or quicktime4linux for examples)
> would be great.  I would like to do this along the way while writting
> the video player.

I'll take a look at it.

wim

--
Q:	How many surrealists does it take to change a light bulb?
A:	Two, one to hold the giraffe, and the other to fill the bathtub

	[Surrealist jokes just aren't my cup of fur.  Ed.]