[gst-devel] State issues for Bins

Wim Taymans wim.taymans at chello.be
Wed Nov 22 23:45:18 CET 2000

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000 19:46:56 Wim Taymans wrote:

> That will do fine I think. The ASYNC thread state change would currently
> only happen when going from READY to PLAYING. We should probably change
> this
> ASYNC behaviour to the NULL->READY state. so for the threads we have:
>
> currently:
>
> NULL->READY: create the thread, delay create_plan
> READY->PLAYING: start the thread (unlock mutex) create_plan and play
> (ASYNC).
>
> better:
>
> NULL->READY: create the thread, start the thread, create plan (ASYNC)
> READY->PLAYING: unlock mutex to start playing

Forget about this better solution: we allready have it. I rechecked :-)
The problem of not setting the state correctly is present though.
Since we do not block on the state change, it is theoretically possible
to proceed to the PLAYING state while the ASYNC READY state change is
not yet completed.

--
The true way goes over a rope which is not stretched at any great height
but just above the ground.  It seems more designed to make people stumble