[gst-devel] PowerPC and getbits

Wim Taymans wim.taymans at chello.be
Sat Sep 16 12:47:34 CEST 2000

Richard Boulton wrote:

> Chris Emerson and I've been trying to get GStreamer going on PPC tonight,
> as you could probably tell by the CVS commits...
>
> Have got most things to work, we think, but am a bit stuck on the
> gstgetbits stuff.  There's a file, gstgetbits_i386.s, containing
> assembly implementations of various functions, but no comments or
> fall-back C code to explain what they do.  We can't work it out -
> could someone explain what's meant to be done here?

all _get_getbits_xxx_i386 should have an equivalent
_gst_getbits_xxx_int function that is supposed to work identically.
The int versions can be found in gstgetbits.c and should probably
be moved over to the _generic.c part...

I added a ifdef'ed integer version in CVS.

> I think that this is the sole remaining thing getting the core of
> GStreamer going on PPC: there are a few issues with some of the
> plugins (notably mpeg2enc) too.

Is this related to MMX? if so: look in the function motion.c at the
function

  void motion_estimation_init(vid_stream)

where we setup the functions for integer, MMX or SSE versions.

There is some MMX inlining in predict.c that I will move to a seperate
file someday.

I would also like to convert the assembler to GNU asm instead of the current
nasm.

Wim