[gst-devel] What projects are underway?

Dan Dennedy ddennedy at coolsite.net
Thu Apr 19 17:41:43 CEST 2001

Erik Walthinsen wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Dan Dennedy wrote:
>
>> FYI, Kino extensively uses libdv--the other project Omega Hacker has worked
>> on in conjunction with OTI.
>

> As it turns out, I'm heading over to OGI again Friday (I was there
> Tuesday) to work with Buck Krasic and others to finally build a libdv
> plugin (both decode and encode, ideally) for GStreamer.  I also want to
> make a 1394src, and if possible (I'm told that it's not, yet) a 1394sink.

Yes, it is possible to make a 1394 DV sink, but DV transmission does not
yet work for everyone. It seems to work for most PAL users and for one
of my NTSC cameras. I have a good lead on the problem and some failure
case devices to work with. Currently, it depends upon video1394, but
video1394 is still a rogue device. I plan to make my replacement devices
official. Also,  IEEE1394Writer::FillBuffer() in Kino's ieee1394.cc
really needs to be moved into video1394, but that will require some
ioctl interface changes as well. This particular method also appears to
be responsible for when DV export fails. Therefore, I tend to recommend
waiting for the new devices. However, there is always something to be
said for moving ahead with what already exists just to get something out
that some people can use.

> If you want, I can make sure that we keep in IRC (irc.openprojects.net,
> #gstreamer) while we do that, and you might be able to help us with the
> 1394 interface <g>  We're starting at noon PST on Friday, if you're
> interested.

Sorry, but I only do this work as a part-time hobby in the late evenings
and weekends. For DV sink, check out the above referenced Kino method
because it computes the necessary ratio of empty to full packets for the
timing of DV transmission over 1394.