[gst-devel] 1394(firewire) source added

Dan Dennedy ddennedy at coolsite.net
Mon Apr 23 15:14:05 CEST 2001

From: "Erik Walthinsen"
> For those not on gst-cvs, I just added the first of two pieces needed to
> use DV camcorders: the 1394src.  I can now get the full isochronous data

Please consider adding the letters dv to this name somewhere because there
is another 1394 camera format that is extremely popular called Digital
Camera that sends uncompressed video. If you want to toy around with one,
Orange Micro and ADS Technologies make some for ~110. Perhaps call them
dv1394src and dc1394src.

> from my DV camcorder via my cardbus firewire card, into a GStreamer
> pipeline.  It's checked in and ready to go.
>
> The other piece comes tomorrow, when I go to OGI again to work with Buck
> Krasic (the current maintainer of the libdv decoder that I started) and
> others to build a libdv plugin for GStreamer.  I expect to be able to show
> live video from a DV camcorder on a the screen of a sufficiently fast
> machine tomorrow.  That also means I can attempt to encode some of the

When my new drivers are done, I'll port your plugins to use them. They
provide better performance through DMA transfers into userspace memory. This
is not possible using the libraw1394 interface you are using. We use this
approach alot with the 1394 uncompressed Digital Cameras, and it helps
performance quite a bit esp. in conjunction with XvShm.