[gst-devel] GNOME & GStreamer: take two

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Tue Aug 7 23:53:11 CEST 2001

Hi,

Christian Schaller wrote:

> This is and updated todo list for GStreamer in relation to GNOME. If
> Erik and Wim thinks it is ok, I will send it to the gnome-love mailing
> list to see if we can get people to help us with some of these tasks.
>
> Christian
>
> a) Create a GNOME control Center Capplet for setting global settings for
> GStreamer & GNOME apps. Audio output format is the most important here
> (ESD, ASD, artsd, OSS, ALSA, Solaris Audio etc.).

The capplet should be set to "Guess my audio environment", seeing which
audio output plugins are available on the platform, then trying them out
one-by-one, moving the previous success to the top of the list.

> Could be some other settings which also could be done this way.
> A GUI option to run gstreamer-register might also be nice to put here.

No, it actually shouldn't be needed to run gstreamer-register by hand at
all. I guess that it should be part of the gst_init().
  If the user doesn't have write access on the global registry, write a
user-wide cache.

> Other settings?

Yes, things like which decoder/encoder to prefer when there are multiple
ones available for a media-type: "mpgparse ! mpg123 or mad for mp3 output ?"

> The backend to this capplet should probably be done with as few
> dependencies as possible since a KDE/GNUStep/XFCE frontend etc. to the
> same settings could be of interest.

The capplet is just an application like any other. The few dependencies
would be glib and xml. You can't do much less.

> This applet should use GConf to store its settings in order to allow
> sysadmins to set systemwide defaults.

I don't think this is needed. These are preferences, not settings (ie.
they can't be wrong). And you would add GConf, OAF (iirc) and Orbit
dependencies on your backend ;)

> b) Provide patches to the gnome-media package to use GStreamer. This
> also includes patches to the GNOME media panel applets.
>
> c) Simple library for supplying play_sound etc. This library will/should
> long term replace the one in gnome-libs. (Timeframe available for GNOME
> 2.0, recomended API for GNOME 2.2, only such API for releases after
> that.)

Martin has actually setup CSL to be used only as a module. We just (sic)
need to write such a module that uses GStreamer instead of CSL.

> d) Menu icons and entries for our sample applications.

With nice icons ;)

> e) Bonobo-media working. Working bonobo-components giving access to
> GStreamer functionality. Erdi Gergo is working on porting this to the
> GNOME 2.0 platform and hope to get it working.
>
> f) Nautilus integration. Video preview, embeding in Nautilus, backend
> for audio-preview feature etc. Not an immediate issue as GStreamer will
> not be a part of the core development libraries for the 2.0 release.
> This is a task more suited for the GNOME 2.2 release.

I guess these 2 go together.

> g) Mozilla/Galeon plugin. Steve Crouse has made the first release of
> this available from: http://mozstreamer.mozdev.org/

Well, I don't know how Steve's architecture for mozstreamer is, but it
seems like it could be a wrapped-bonobo componenent. Mind you that I
don't know anything about how to write a Mozilla plugin.

<snip>

Cheers