[gst-devel] GNOME & GStreamer: take two

Christian Schaller Uraeus at linuxrising.org
Wed Aug 8 17:28:40 CEST 2001

On 07 Aug 2001 22:53:11 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Christian Schaller wrote:
>
> > This is and updated todo list for GStreamer in relation to GNOME. If
> > Erik and Wim thinks it is ok, I will send it to the gnome-love mailing
> > list to see if we can get people to help us with some of these tasks.
> >
> > Christian
> >
> > a) Create a GNOME control Center Capplet for setting global settings for
> > GStreamer & GNOME apps. Audio output format is the most important here
> > (ESD, ASD, artsd, OSS, ALSA, Solaris Audio etc.).
>

> The capplet should be set to "Guess my audio environment", seeing which
> audio output plugins are available on the platform, then trying them out
> one-by-one, moving the previous success to the top of the list.

This seems like a good idea, I will put this in to version 0.3

> > Could be some other settings which also could be done this way.
> > A GUI option to run gstreamer-register might also be nice to put here.
>

> No, it actually shouldn't be needed to run gstreamer-register by hand at
> all. I guess that it should be part of the gst_init().
>   If the user doesn't have write access on the global registry, write a
> user-wide cache.
>

> > Other settings?
>

> Yes, things like which decoder/encoder to prefer when there are multiple
> ones available for a media-type: "mpgparse ! mpg123 or mad for mp3 output ?"
Part of me agrees with you, part of me feels that this should be choosen by
each application.

> > The backend to this capplet should probably be done with as few
> > dependencies as possible since a KDE/GNUStep/XFCE frontend etc. to the
> > same settings could be of interest.
>

> The capplet is just an application like any other. The few dependencies
> would be glib and xml. You can't do much less.
>

> > This applet should use GConf to store its settings in order to allow
> > sysadmins to set systemwide defaults.
>

> I don't think this is needed. These are preferences, not settings (ie.
> they can't be wrong). And you would add GConf, OAF (iirc) and Orbit
> dependencies on your backend ;)
Actually, Sysadmins would want to be able to lock down such things to avoid
having to support users who have messed up their configuration. Also
from a GNOME perspective one stop shopping for settings is prefereable.

If we use the Gconf interface and not bonobo-config I think we will not
need the Bonobo-activation (OAF) or Orbit dependency.

> > b) Provide patches to the gnome-media package to use GStreamer. This
> > also includes patches to the GNOME media panel applets.
> >
> > c) Simple library for supplying play_sound etc. This library will/should
> > long term replace the one in gnome-libs. (Timeframe available for GNOME
> > 2.0, recomended API for GNOME 2.2, only such API for releases after
> > that.)
>

> Martin has actually setup CSL to be used only as a module. We just (sic)
> need to write such a module that uses GStreamer instead of CSL.
Ok, if Erik and Wtay thinks the current API is sane then I guess
this is a better option. Also if the current API is the one that ships with 2.0
then not changing it do has a value in its own.

> > d) Menu icons and entries for our sample applications.
>
> With nice icons ;)
Well, think my first step would be no-icons, then adding icons as soon
as some graphics artist takes pity on us :). Actually I tried getting Fredric
(who did the Galeon art) to help us, but I have been able to get in
touch with him for some time now.

> > e) Bonobo-media working. Working bonobo-components giving access to
> > GStreamer functionality. Erdi Gergo is working on porting this to the
> > GNOME 2.0 platform and hope to get it working.
> >
> > f) Nautilus integration. Video preview, embeding in Nautilus, backend
> > for audio-preview feature etc. Not an immediate issue as GStreamer will
> > not be a part of the core development libraries for the 2.0 release.
> > This is a task more suited for the GNOME 2.2 release.
>

> I guess these 2 go together.
They can, but I would guess that is an implementation issue.