[gst-devel] GstTimeCache intro

Erik Walthinsen omega at temple-baptist.com
Sat Aug 11 21:48:02 CEST 2001

On Sat, 11 Aug 2001, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:

> Not only does my application needs to place "bookmarks" in a video stream,
> but i need to save them on disk.  Perhaps i'll spend 100 hours adding
> lots of bookmarks to a video stream.  Once i have a nice crispy bookmark
> file then i want to be able to email it to my friends.  Of course my
> friends will have the same movie/video but perhaps in a different format.
> Maybe i'm working with DVD and they have the same film in VCD, or Ogg Tarkin,
> whatever.  So i'm concerned about whether i can take my bookmarks
> and re-align them with a slightly different video.

OK, so we can add the ability to save XML for either the whole timecache,
or a single group.  Then if you want to share bookmarks, you export the
group that has your bookmarks, after changing the certainty value to
FUZZY_LOCATION.  This basically means that you have a list of timestamps
with byte offsets that are useful to someone who has the same source file,
but are ignored/rewritten for people with a different source file but the
same timestamps.  The app in question might include a length and an md5
hash of short sequences at key locations in the file, which would then be
used to see if the location field in the timecache dump could be relied
upon as well as timestamps.

Cool idea ;-)

      Erik Walthinsen <omega at temple-baptist.com> - System Administrator
        __