[gst-devel] gstmediaplay and a project of the week for someone

adevens at antioch-college.edu adevens at antioch-college.edu
Tue Aug 14 02:52:16 CEST 2001

hey all,

first of all, i'm back from school for the next few weeks so i am actively
working on gst again. finally. second, for those of you who don't know me (this
is actually the first post i've done on this list i think) i'm arik and i'm the
author/maintainer of gstmediaplay the sample/default media player for gst.

anyway, here is the project. i need someone (it could be me, i would rather it
was someone else) to write a new (or fix the old one) libgstplay for
gstmediaplay. it's not a terribly big project (the current version is 700+ lines
of code) but it's potentially hairy. the specifications of what i need are as
follows:

we need a gtk widget (ultimately it should be a bonobo control but for now...)
that you can set a uri on and play/stop/pause. it needs to support switching
media files and media types during playback and needs to send out a signal on
eos. it needs to support seeking the media as well as have functions to return
things like media length, size, type, name, id3 type stuff, and so on. as well
as being able to query for the capabilities of the media, ie can seek, has
video, has audio etc... most of this stuff already exists in the current version
and really all that needs to be done is to fix up the pipeline so that it can
switch media and hook up eos. oh and add the rest of the capability and query
stuff. anyway the current code could be fixed or a new version could be written.

i can write this (well i can once i learn alot more about how the pipeline stuff
works in gst) but i would rather spend my time working on making the player as
feature comparable to window media player and quicktime as possible and not on
this stuff. so if someone else could jump on board and do this i would be really
greatful and of course you would get co-author credit in the about box and
such... ;-)

anyway,
arik