[gst-devel] GStreamer FAQ

Erik Walthinsen omega at temple-baptist.com
Thu Aug 16 20:13:42 CEST 2001

On 15 Aug 2001, Christian Schaller wrote:

> > Um... so when/who made a braindead decision "We do not plan on having
> > any 0.11.x and so on releases"?  How can you possibly decide that when
> > we're at 0.2.1?  Please don't tell me it's just a 1 digit per version
> > part issue.  Every other package deals with that, we can too.

Here's what we're doing:

Major: increments as we go along
Minor: single digit that indicates roughly how far along we are in major
Micro: serial number within minor, no digit limitations

This means that the minor number is an indication (in 10ths) of roughly
how far we believe we are to the next major version number.  Using
multiple digits blows this scheme totally out of the water.

This doesn't mean that we're only 2/10ths of the way complete to 1.0.  The
reality is that the next 5 or 6 minor version numbers will take
significantly less time, or even may be skipped in their entirety.  0.9.x
will take time, because that's polishing before 1.0, as is normal for most
programs.

      Erik Walthinsen <omega at temple-baptist.com> - System Administrator
        __
      _\  /_