[gst-devel] merges

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Sun Dec 16 07:57:02 CET 2001

Hi gang,

With the help of wtay and moral support from Uraeus and ajmitch, we
managed to merge wrobell's branch with a few of my improvements back into
the head.

I'll bet we'll be having some build issues now, which I hope to get
resolved during the day with your help.  I'm also adding a few
improvements as we speak.

A lot of plugins still need to be adressed for the new build system, so
you'll probably see excessive CFLAGS and LIBS.  We'll touch the
Makefile.am's one by one, hopefully with wrobell's help.

Also, I'm still moving some of the library detections around to a more
uniform system using GST_CHECK_FEATURE, so that each library can be turned
off using configure.  Thanks to Richard B's macros which I could improve
on easily ;)

So let me know what works and what doesn't.  For now I'm concentrating on
GNOME1 stuff, and as soon as the dust settles a bit we'll move on to
ensuring GNOME2 compatibility.

Meanwhile, wtay says he's fixing leaks and cleaning code, Uraeus made the
code compatible with legacy systems, and ajmitch and arik are working on
all sorts of mediaplayers ;)

What still needs to be decided :

a) split up
people are suggesting a core module (without gui stuff), a gui apps module
(player/editor/guilaunch) and a plugins module

Either way, we should move ahead soon

b) what would we do with plugins that don't have dependencies, ie are
self-contained ? Do we keep them in the core or move them out ? In the
same vein, what do we do with the libs we write ourselves ?

c) unstable libs we depend on : what module do we put them in ?

d) I'd vote for either a flat plugin dir or a two-level plugin dir, but
let's decide on it.  stuff like filters/colorspace have got to be
flattened, esd/esdsink likewise, mp3/decoder and friends too...
either way, all plugins should be on the same level in the hierarchical
tree.

e) a split might also be made according to external libs they depend on.

I'm sure there are other things to consider, but that's about it for now.
I hope you agree with the changes I made so far ;)

Thomas

Ik zei dat ik voor haar wou sterven
en dat vond zij niet fijn
Zij hield van dieren en van mensen