[gst-devel] Fast Forward policy making

Erik Walthinsen omega at temple-baptist.com
Mon Dec 17 13:00:02 CET 2001

On 17 Dec 2001, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:

> This means CVS and appname will be set/changed to the following:
> gst-core
> gst-plugins
> gst-gui
> gst-bind
>
> gst-launch
> gst-mediaplay
> gst-guilaunch
>
> If you have objections to this screem now or be forever ignored.

OK, here's what thomasvs, wingo, and I worked out in IRC just now:

gst-core/
	gst/
		libgst.so
		{headers}
		autoplug/
			...so
			{headers}
		schedulers/
			...so
			{headers}
	libs/
		gst/
			launch/
				libgstlaunch.so
				gstlaunch.h
			bytestream/
				libbytestream.so
				gstbs.h
			bitstream/ [?]
	test/
	docs/
	tools/
		-complete
		-compprep
		-register
		-inspect
		-launch [1]
		-register

gst-player/
	libgstplay/
		libgstplay.so
		{headers}
	src/
		gstmediaplay

gst-bind/
	swig/

gst-editor/
	libgsteditor/
		libgsteditor.so
		{headers}
	src/
		gst-editor
		gst-guilaunch

Notes:
1: remove X dep from launch by adding xvideosink toplevel=1

Some specific names, like gst-player, are still debatable, but we've
worked out some details that should make life easier.  Specifically:

1) keep various data-agnostic libs into the core, but add a gst/ directory
in the middle to aid with include files, i.e. so both app code and
headeres in gst-core can use #include <gst/$libname/...>

2) remove the X dependency from launch so it can stay in the core.  this
has to be done with a mod to any videosink that requires a toplevel
directory, so it can create its own

3) putting guilaunch into the -editor module, becuaase so much is shared
(or should be) between those two programs.  Moved the library into
gst-editor/libgsteditor/, and put both the applications (gst-editor and
gst-guilaunch) into a src/ directory.

      Erik Walthinsen <omega at temple-baptist.com> - System Administrator
        __
      _\  /_