[gst-devel] mpeg2 instead of DV

Jakub Steiner jimmac at ximian.com
Tue Dec 18 16:31:01 CET 2001

Hello there,
I've got a sony consumer camera that uses mpeg2 codec instead of DV. It
can be controlled fine with dvcont or gscanbus, but every tool expects
DV coming out of it for grabbing. I'd like to know if it would be
possible to use a different decoder chained after dv1394src than dvdec
(I'm just guessing that's how it works). Although mpeg2 cameras ain't
common these days, I bet more will come in future.

I grabbed a sample stream from the camera using dvdgrab test mode, if
that's of use for some investigation:

http://jimmac.musichall.cz/stuff/sony-dcr-ip5.testraw

Jakub

P.S.: I googled around some some specs/reviews of the cam:

http://www.letsgodigital.nl/webpages/news/df/sony/dcr.html
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0108/01082001sonymvcamcorders.asp
http://www.simplydv.co.uk/micromv.html

--
-[ jimmac at ximian.com ]-[ http://jimmac.musichall.cz ]-

"even a stopped clock gives a right time twice a day"