[gst-devel] question on our libs

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Fri Dec 21 22:53:33 CET 2001

Hi everyone,

as a test case for how I want to handle the libs, I've added the audiofile
plugin to gst-plugins.  This one needs the internal audio lib.

Now, it works as is now, but I think you all should decide on a few simple
matters :

a) should our internal libraries be made available on the system in devel
packages ? ATM I don't think they are, and if we want to encourage
external plugin development (in external packages) and lib reuse we should
probably allow for it.

b) where would the libs themselves go, how should they be called ?
should they go in /usr/lib/gst/ ? or in /usr/lib/gst-libs ?
or /usr/lib/gst/libs ?

c) where would the headers go on the system ?
/usr/lib/gst/gstaudio.h ?
/usr/lib/gst-libs/gstaudio.h ?

d) how would they be included, both in included plugins and external
plugins (the same way of course) ?
#include <gst/gstaudio.h>
#include <gst/audio/gstaudio.h>

I'm sure you all have more experience than me so let me know what would be
preferred so that I can make changes accordingly before putting in the
rest of the libs.  (I deliberately made conflicting suggestions as to not
imply a preference on my part)

Also, if someone could tell me how I would handle decent EOS handling to
afsrc, I'd be very grateful.  It would allow me to add afsrc to the
testscript ;)

Also, looks like brave_robinsong.wav is an invalid wav file.

Thanks,
Thomas

I hit him around a lot.
For Spike, that's like third base ...