[gst-devel] Re: Funny colours in mpeg movies (fwd)

Erik Walthinsen omega at temple-baptist.com
Fri Feb 9 19:16:25 CET 2001

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 23:43:57 -0800 (PST)
From: Erik Walthinsen <omega at temple-baptist.com>
To: Mikael Claesson <miclaes at hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Funny colours in mpeg movies

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Mikael Claesson wrote:

> - The colours look funny in all the mpeg movies I tried, and scaling doesn't
> work (when resizing window).
The resizing issue is a known problem.  The videosink is likely to get a
pretty thorough overhaul at some point soon.  As for colors, I guess it
depends on how funny they are.  Do you mean that the colors are just plain
wrong?  That might have something to do with RGB vs. BGR, or some other
sticky issue with the videosink.  If it's just slightly off, then it may
be any number of things including YUV->RGB conversion issues.  What
version of XFree are you running, and what video card do you have?

> - When I start gstplay it says the repository should be updated. I run
> gstreamer-register, but that doesn't help.
gstreamer-register creates /etc/gstreamer/reg.xml.  If you aren't root, it
will not work.  The latest code in CVS will do these checks and tell you
why it didn't work ;-)

> - I get complaints including the words "libglade" and "xml", and most menu
> options don't work (preferences for example).
gstmediaplay is not a complete application yet.  Much work is left to be
done, and the sequence for that work is still a little fuzzy.  Stay tuned
<g>

> - When I try to play AVIs, it doesn't handle it gracefully.
Not surprising.  We've been reworking how a lot of that stuff works
recently, but have been concentrating on getting the core library right.
The plugins come after that ;-)

Let us know if you have any other problems.  The more of them we know
about, the more we can fix...

TIA,
   Omega

      Erik Walthinsen <omega at temple-baptist.com> - System Administrator