[gst-devel] GStreamer todo list
omega at ridgerun.com
Fri Feb 9 23:54:11 CET 2001
Here's a list compiled at RidgeRun of the things we need to get done
shortly (i.e. in February).
MattH started 2-7-2001
To do list for GStreamer
1. cleanup build process, cvs branch strategy
DONE: seems good enough for now (thx, Omega)
2. seeking: this changes several things
- add "get region"
- elements can set their state to "don't schedule me" for the scheduler
- scheduler always schedules "the parser" first
- all elements between "the parser" and the source need to implement
"get region"... if a buffer element gets its "getregion" called, it
needs to flush what it has and call "getregion" to its left...
- an application needs to set the pipeline to "paused" or "stopped"
- a new state "empty" (like a partial eos) will be added so scheduler
can empty everything in the pipeline
- all parsers will have to be modified to support this
- all src's need to be examined... any necessary changes?
3. make eos more robust
- works fairly well now
- `seeking' changes will effectively change/improve this
4. add error handling
- need to have an error model, and associated guidelines / policies
when elements (and parsers!) generate errors
- walk through several typical data paths, verify err handling for every
possible error condition!
5. clean up documentation
- changes to API => changes to docs
6. change plugins to be `loop func's'
- this is a consequence of `seeking' changes
7. create a non-GTK application to use GStreamer
- audio only
8. walk through state transitions within all elements
- verify appropriate behavior
- `seeking' changes will basically require this
9. per-pipeline memory cleanup
- ability to `delete' a pipeline (or any element)?
10. create a voice codec (gsm?) plugin
- ensure assigned "names" are unique within context!
- naming convention?
12. ensure cleanup/garbage collection
- GtkObject: fix _destroy()
13. buffers: "metadata" needs complete rewrite
14. buffers: add check s.t. bufpen's cannot be unknowingly overwritten
- at least generate some error
15. GtkObject: ref counting not used... remove?
16. add ability to read / report ID3 header information
- mp3parse, etc
Erik Walthinsen - omega at ridgerun.com
Development Engineer - RidgeRun, Inc.
/ \ GStreamer - The only way to stream!
| | M E G A ***** http://gstreamer.net/ *****
More information about the gstreamer-devel