[gst-devel] Re: GStreamer, libaudiofile and ALSA

Thomas Nyberg thomas at codefactory.se
Mon Feb 26 23:34:29 CET 2001

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 01:08:01PM -0800, Erik Walthinsen wrote:
> I haven't had a chance to look at audiofile, but if it has a usable enough
> interface, I definitely would use it.  The problem I've found, though, is
> that most libraries don't have enough of a complete API to do everything
> GStreamer is capable of.  Some of this has to do with optimization, but
> others are more fundamental, like the ability to seek fast and accurately.
> I'll give it a look when I have a chance and see if it can be used.

I belivie that the project-homepage is located at:
http://www.68k.org/~michael/audiofile/

The API seems to follow some standard, more info can be found at:
http://ask.ii.uib.no/ebt-bin/nph-dweb/dynaweb/SGI_Developer/DMediaDev_PG/@Generic__BookTextView/11986

I've also done some work using audiofile, and what I can tell it is good
enough anyway. There are some setbacks regarding it's dependencies on
GnomeVirtualFiles(or something like that).
Regarding the speed, I can't really say. The advantage of your approach
is that it is easy to change disksrc into using open64(and its friends) to
get support for really large files.

> Yes, I have to get an ALSA plugin worked out.  I have to have it for my
> RME Hammerfall card (16in, 16out), so...  The main problem until now has
> (and maybe still) is the lack of a stable API...

Yes, this is somewhat of a problem. There exists a version 0.5.x which
has a nice API - but they have just released a 0.9.x version with an API
which is not compatible with 0.5.x - However, there are only minor changes
to the function-names and stuff. I believe there should not be any
difficulties implementing support for both versions.

> > I am doing some stuff with ALSA right now, and since there doesn't seem
> > to be any work or code for this in the 0.1.1 release - I will have do
> > create it anyhow...
> Would be willing to help out with the alsasrc and alsasink elements?

Yes, I can create the alsasrc and alsasink-stuff. I've looked through
GStreamer sources and believe I know how to do it right. Multiple soundcard
stuff is cool, and not very hard to implement - atleast not in a simple
manner.

A last question, when submitting patches and stuff - do I send submit it
on this list, or send it to someone special?

/Thomas

Thomas Nyberg                    thomas.nyberg at codefactory.se
CodeFactory AB                   http://www.codefactory.se/
Office: +46 (0)90 71 86 10       Cell: +46 (0)70 335 61 64