[gst-devel] streaming server

Erik Walthinsen omega at temple-baptist.com
Wed Jul 11 06:29:39 CEST 2001

On 11 Jul 2001, Mikolaj J. Habryn wrote:

> It /can/ be, but I seem to get shouted down everytime I start talking
> about a monster plugin with a builtin queueing and I/O dispatch system
> to handle multiple clients at multiple rates... ;)
>
> m, thinking 'gstreamer-launch v4lsrc ! jpegenc ! webcamsink port=60000'.

Shouted down?  I thought I explained how to do it! ;-)

As I mentioned in IRC, gstreamer would work well as a 1-to-many server,
like above.  It's entirely the wrong solution if you're doing media
serving, even seeking.  If you start adding reconfigurable server-side
filtering. you might be wanting to use gstreamer for obvious reasons.  But
it's not designed to scale to a many-to-many server design.  Not to say it
couldn't, but I'd look elsewhere first (i.e. search google for 'c10k' and
read up).

      Erik Walthinsen <omega at temple-baptist.com> - System Administrator
        __
      _\  /_