[gst-devel] mjpegtools plugins for gstreamer

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Sat Jun 9 22:45:21 CEST 2001

Hi guys,

no, it's not finished yet, we're just about to start. :-)

Now, a question. Lav basically covers (M)JPEG-encoded avi, quicktime and
movtar. I could do two things, either write one plugin for each or one which
covers all three of them in one.

You already seem to have quicktime support, I suppose this includes
JPEG-encoded quicktime. You also seem to have general MJPEG-AVI support,
which doesn't work 100% yet last time I tested it (but I didn't check the
current status).

I'd prefer to create one plugin for MJPEG-AVI, QT and movtar together,
'lavsrc'. This would probably mean that you'd have to drop the existing
AVI-JPEG support (I think our JPEG-lib supports and works with most
JPEG-videos I've seen). Our quicktime JPEG-support is based on Adam's
QT-lib, we could modify that to use the 3ivx one you guys use. But does this
sound like a good idea or would you rather see one plugin for movtar, one
for JPEG-AVI (unless you prefer the one you already have) and then we'd
probably drop quicktime because 3ivx' codec does that already?

Besides support for the 'lav'-formats, Andrew (Stevens) seems to be working
on librarification of mpeg2enc (MPEG encoder) and later on, once that's all
done, we'll probably librarify the hardware support for the zoran-V4L device
and write gst-plugins for that too so that one could playback or record
'lav'-files with hardware-grabbed video using gstreamer.

Regards,

Ronald