[gst-devel] GObject->GtkObject bridge [mostly] working!

Erik Walthinsen omega at temple-baptist.com
Sat Jun 16 09:52:45 CEST 2001

RUNNING pipeline
fakesrc: ******* (fakesrc0:src)>
fakesink: ******* (fakesink0:sink)< (0 bytes)
. . .

I've built a header and source file that provides (almost) all I need to
bridge the newly ported GObject branch back to gtk+-1.2.  There are still
some problems to be worked out, including how best to handle the
configure.sh end of things, but this means that we should be able to merge
BRANCH-GOBJECT1 into HEAD without adversely affecting people who don't
have glib-2.0 yet.

The hairier part of things is when we get to the editor and player.  They
currently actively use gtk+ and gnome.  We'll have to see how feasible it
is to port those to gtk-2.0 and gnome-2.0, and possibly have to either
rewrite parts of them to be more portable, or write another set of
compatibility layers.

All of this stuff will land on a webpage on gstreamer.net, so other people
porting to glib-2.0 can make use of it.  There's a perl script that does
the vast majority of the work in translating code from GtkObject to
GObject (I had to manually touch about a dozen files out of *all* the
plugins), and the aforementioned source files that can translate back <g>

      Erik Walthinsen <omega at temple-baptist.com> - System Administrator
        __
      _\  /_