[gst-devel] configure.base prototype

Richard Boulton richard at tartarus.org
Mon Jun 25 21:49:16 CEST 2001

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 12:40:23PM -0700, Erik Walthinsen wrote:
> Another feature could be a table that gets printed at the end of
> configure, as a 'warning' that lists the dependent libs that weren't found
> and which plugins won't build because of that.  That would be easier for
> people to see than the warning at check time, which'll get scrolled off.
My plan exactly.

I tried to implement the beginnings of this already, for the
plugin-use-builddir  warning, though I'm not certain it's working...

> > We'd get something like:
> > GST_CHECK(esd, [enable esound plugins], esdsrc esdsink,
> > [AM_PATH_ESD(0.2.12, HAVE_GSTTESTLIB=yes, HAVE_GSTTESTLIB=no]
> I think it needsa lot more stuff than that:
>
> GST_CHECK(libesd,LIBESD,[esound plugins],esdsrc esdsink,[
>   esd_save_LIBS=$LIBS
>   esd_save_CFLAGS=$CFLAGS
>   AM_PATH_ESD(0.2.12, HAVE_LIBESD=yes, HAVE_LIBESD=no)
>   LIBS=$esd_save_LIBS
>   CFLAGS=$esd_save_CFLAGS
> ])
I was thinking that the LIBS and CFLAGS saves would be implicit: saves more
code duplication that way. (only a small number of checks _need_ the saves,
but they're hardly expensive)

And I was going to try to calculate the LIBESD from the libesd, though
maybe that's more trouble than it's worth...  I'm not sure I could do it
without a tr or sed and backticks.

> The idea is that you'd end up with an --enable-libesd that sets
> USE_LIBESD; USE_LIBESD is used to decide whether to make the check or not,
> which sets HAVE_LIBESD; if HAVE_LIBESD isn't set, USE_LIBESD goes away.
> USE_LIBESD is then AM_CONDITIONAL'd and AC_DEFINED and everything else
> that needs to be done.
Yup.

--
Richard