[gst-devel] audio/raw = 16 bit int?

Owen Fraser-Green owen at discobabe.net
Fri Mar 9 17:35:00 CET 2001

Hi,

A quick question regarding audio/raw. I noticed sample resolution
(MetaAudioRaw->bps) must be AFMT_S(8|16)_LE and audio data is passed as
integers. Woudn't it be better for audio/raw to be 32-bit floats? By using
16-bit signal processing, even (especially) if the output resolution is 16-
bit, aliasing effects can easily be introduced. It also means that there
are currently a lot of "magic" numbers floating around (because the range
is 0 to 2^16-1 instead of just -1 to 1) plus there's a lot of casting going
on e.g. sinesrc and volume.

I know it would mean an doubling the bandwidth of the audio streams but I
feel that this would only be significant in long pipelines and then the
extra dynamic range afforded by 32-bits would far outweigh that
disadvantage.

Regards,
Owen

     Owen  Fraser-Green             "Hard work never killed anyone,
     owen at discobabe.net              but why give it a chance?"