[gst-devel] audio/raw = 16 bit int?

Owen Fraser-Green owen at discobabe.net
Fri Mar 9 18:47:48 CET 2001

Hi,

> yes, but only when we have caps negotiation working. The properties you
> attach to
> a pad can then be anything you want. You also will have to create a
> converter that does
> the float to int conversion so that common cards can handle the data.

Would it not be better for all audio/raw to be float and leave the
responsibility of converting, say a 16-bit WAV source to float up to the
source element then have the audio sink only accept 32-bit float (yes, this
would be unneccessary conversion but would provide more benefits in the
long run)?

Then the conversion would happen in gstaudiosink and co. I guess I just
feel with 20- and 24-bit cards becoming common it should be the sources'
responsibility to upscale to some theoretical max (i.e. 32-bit) and the
sinks' responsibility to downscale it to what the sound driver wants. Then
all the filter elements in between only need to understand one common
format.

I'm sure you're about to tell me that this exactly what the new caps
negotiation is going to do anyway. It seems I'm usually a step behind with
my questions. Still, I'll catch up soon I hope :)

Regards,
Owen

     Owen  Fraser-Green             "Hard work never killed anyone,
     owen at discobabe.net              but why give it a chance?"