[gst-devel] Re: GStreamer port to other platforms ?

Georg Waldschmidt georg.waldschmidt at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Mar 12 20:11:20 CET 2001

So I will start do evaluate how to do the port best.
I already did some tries, but the main problem is the gcc-specific
code, as there are many macros with a variable parameter list.
This is a problem on Visual C++. Maybe not on MinGW.
Although, the architecure of GStreamer is the best I saw, there are
some disadvantages:
- It depends on GTK+, which depends on GDK which depends on the
graphic subsystem of the OS. This is not a problem for the Win32 port,
but for other platforms like MacOS. Maybe this is obsolete when turning
to gobject.
- the code is written for gcc. This may cause problems to port
GStreamer not only to other platforms, but also to other compilers on
Unix OS's.
Nevertheless I will try. But maybe this will take some time , because
it is just a hobby project, but maybe it will lead to a multimedia
world domination  ;-)

Regards,
Georg