[gst-devel] Audio format identifiers and portability

Erik Walthinsen omega at temple-baptist.com
Tue Mar 13 22:45:54 CET 2001

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Steve Baker wrote:

> I agree, also we are soon going to want to define audio/raw formats which
> have no definitions in sys/soundcard.h so it would be nice if we could
> remove the dependency.
> > #include <sys/soundcard.h>

So the question is, do we want to have an enum with standard types,
potentially making yet another mess like soundcards.h, or do we want to
use the properties system to describe things, such as:

depth: 8-32
width: 8-32
endian: 0,1
signed: 0,1
float: 0,1

That should take care of most raw audio formats.  Depth and width are
separate (and probably poorly named) because you can have 24 bit samples
that are 32-bit aligned for ease of use.  Depth can also be 14 bits or
something.

There's a Microsoft page on this somewhere that I should dig out, it has a
few more ideas that we can use here.

Thoughts?

      Erik Walthinsen <omega at temple-baptist.com> - System Administrator
        __